Sunday 21 September 2014

RPGaDay, day 21

Day 21: Favourite Licensed RPG

The only licensed RPG I've played is Deathwatch, so yeah.

The majority of RPGs (that I've ever heard of) come fairly explicitly from someone else's idea, whether they get a license, blur the traces, or mash together enough different sources to count as their own thing. A lot of licensed games are TV-based, and not owning a TV, I'm not likely to care about them (this is an accident of life, not a philosophical position). I'm generally more into books than other media, and book-based RPGs are generally either borrowing liberally from several authors to create a new product (either a general one or their own specific creation), using material old enough not to require a license, or adding a licensed skin to a generic system (FATE seems to do this a lot, also GURPS). The first type aren't licensed, and I'm only likely to play the second if I'm into that specific setting, which hasn't yet happened. Call of Cthulhu is out of copyright. So far, I'm the only person paying attention to the genres I'd like to play in.

No comments:

Post a Comment